The BEST Fall Soup! (Zuppa Toscana)
1 lb uncured, sugar free bacon, cut into 1/2” pieces
1 lb sweet or spicy Italian sausage (chicken or pork works!)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2” cubes
*if AIP, use cauliflower instead
4 cups chicken bone broth (Frontier brand)
celtic sea salt and pepper, to taste
1 bunch tuscan or curly kale, stems removed and chopped
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (Native Forest Simple brand)
juice of 1 lemon
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally until brown and crisp, about 5 mins. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked bacon to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Remove about half of the bacon fat and save for another time. Lower the heat to medium. Squeeze the sausage into the pot, leaving the casing behind. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a spoon, until browed - about 5 mins.
- Next add the onions and cook until translucent. Then the garlic, stir, and cook another minute.
- Then add the potatoes and the bone broth and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Once boiling, lower the heat to low and continue to cook until potatoes are fork tender - about 10 minutes.
- Next add the coconut milk, cooked bacon and the kale to the pot and stir. Turn the heat off and let the residual heat wilt down the kale.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste and add lemon juice if desired.