Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, roughly diced
5 cloves garlic
1 2.5-3lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
2 honey nut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
1 bunch thyme (about 6 sprigs)
1 cup chicken bone broth
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp salt, plus more if needed
arugula, pumpkin seeds, more coconut milk, for garnish
- Turn the instant pot on the saute setting and add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the onions and saute until golden brown (the color gives this soup extra flavor!)
- Next, press cancel on the instant pot and add in the squashes, garlic, thyme, bone broth and salt.
- Securely place the lid on and move the the top lever to sealed.
- Press the manual setting and set to 10 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps that the soup is done, press cancel and carefully move the top lever to venting to let the steam out.
- Discard the thyme sprigs. Using a slotted spoon transfer the cooked mixture to a blender, leaving the bone broth behind. (you might have to do this in batches to not overfill you blender carafe, only 3/4 the way full)
- Now add in 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning and add more coconut milk until desired consistency.