Healthier Coq Au Vin
4 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick)
himalayan salt and ground black pepper
2 cups organic dry white wine
1 bunch thyme, divided
4 oz. bacon or turkey bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2" pieces
4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
4 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
6 Tbsp. mykonos vegan butter, divided
6 large carrots, peeled, cut on a diagonal into 4" pieces
4 shallots, peeled and cut in half crosswise
4 garlic cloves, smashed
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
1/2 bunch parsley leaves, chopped
- Remove moisture from the chicken with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to a 1 gallon plastic bag, add white wine and ½ bunch thyme. Seal bag, mix everything around and let sit at room temperature while you prep the other ingredients or place in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
- Saute bacon or turkey bacon in a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp, 8–10 minutes. Transfer Instant Pot insert.
- Add both of the mushrooms to bacon drippings in pan; season with salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Scrape mushrooms into Instant Pot insert and reserve pan.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place each chicken leg on a paper towel lined plate and pat dry. Reserve the marinade but discard the thyme sprigs.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. vegan butter in reserved pan over medium. Once butter is hot, add half the chicken legs skin side down and cook, undisturbed, until skin is dark golden brown, 10–12 minutes. Turn chicken over and cook until pale golden brown underneath, about 2 minutes. Nestle chicken into pot insert and repeat process with remaining chicken legs.
- Now add the carrots, shallots, and garlic to the pan; season lightly with salt. Cook, tossing often, until shallots are golden brown in spots, about 4 minutes. Add to pot insert.
- Return pan to medium heat and add the vinegar. Cook, scraping browned bits with a wooden spoon, until syrupy, about 3 minutes. Add reserved wine marinade and remaining ½ bunch thyme and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pan, until reduced by half, 5–7 minutes.
- Pour liquid into pot insert and seal the lid. Set for “Pressure Cook,” high, 15 minutes. Make sure the top steam releaser is on sealed. It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure and then the 15 minutes will begin. Once the timer goes off, let the pressure naturally release. You will know the pressure has been released when you move steam releaser to unseal and no steam comes out.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 Tbsp. of vegan butter and whisk in the tapioca flour until well combined.
- Transfer chicken and veggies to a plate with tongs and remove and throw away the thyme sprigs.
- The only thing left in your instant pot should be the liquid. Press the 'Saute' button on your instant pot and add the melted butter flour mixture to liquid. Whisk constantly to ensure no clumps and bring to a simmer. Once the sauce has thickened, taste and adjust seasoning. Press cancel on the instant pot and serve the chicken/veggies with the white wine sauce and parsley on top. Enjoy!